We understand that getting it wrong is just as important as getting it right in the learning process, and we provide a supportive environment in which students can gain the resiliency they need in their academic, social, and emotional lives.
Features of the Elementary Program
- In the primary grades, the balanced, comprehensive Language Arts program teaches reading through explicit instruction in phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, fluency, and reading comprehension. Writing instruction is integrated with the reading program and focuses on the writing process. Direct, systematic skill instruction is integral to reading and writing development at this stage.
- The math curriculum enables students to acquire an understanding of and ability to work with numbers and number concepts and to apply that knowledge in early computational skills..
- The science curriculum addresses the need for students to learn about their world through scientific exploration and hands-on experiences. The curriculum supports the Next Generation Science Standards through the development of scientific inquiry, thinking skills, and knowledge.
- The Outdoor Classroom is used in scientific endeavors and investigations with age-appropriate lessons on Physical Science, Life Science, Earth and Space Science, and Engineering.
- The social studies curriculum promotes diversity, global interconnectedness, and intellectual excellence through the study of civics and government, economics, geography, and history.
- Ancillae students have the added benefit of working in the STEM Laboratory. Through a systematic and sequential coding skill development, students in grades 1-4 work with both off-line and on-line coding.
- Catholic students participate in the sacramental program receiving First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion at the Academy in the fall of second grade.
- Students use instructional materials that combine 21st-century educational technology with modern content and dynamic interactivities to engage today’s digital learners.
- Students participate in Morning Meetings during the week to build a strong sense of community and set children up for success socially and academically. Students and teachers gather together in a circle and move through a greeting, sharing, group activity, and morning message.
- 1:1 iPad program advances student learning in the classroom and digital portfolio and sharing platforms communicate progress with parents.