Based on the philosophy of the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Ancillae-Assumpta Academy is an inclusive school, which values diversity. Inherent in this philosophy is respect for all individuals as learners, a belief that all children are special, and the firm conviction that all children can learn. We at Ancillae-Assumpta Academy are dedicated to meeting the needs of all of our students.
Support is provided by school personnel as well as the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit staff. Services include: individual and small group instruction in the areas of language arts and math, speech and language assistance, guidance, challenge, and organizational and study skills.
The Academy believes that every student has the right to respectful tasks as well as the right to be challenged. This occurs through the application of differentiated instruction, which includes flexible grouping, tiered assignments, and curriculum compacting. Further, assistive technology is utilized as a major component of the program. The Resource Learning team also strives to provide direct assistance for teachers in meeting the diverse needs of all students. Regular communication with parents is a key component of this process. On-going professional development is encouraged through faculty in-services, workshops, and educational resources.
- School support staff includes specialists in the areas of special education, reading, math, and guidance.
- Full utilization of the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit support services includes speech and language, guidance, reading and math remediation.
- Assistive technology facilitates the writing process.
- The design and implementation of student accommodation/modification plans structure the learning environment.
- The Wilson Reading System and the Fundations Wilson Language Basics programs are implemented as part of reading remediation.
- A wide variety of math and reading manipulatives are incorporated into the support program.
- A professional library and parent and student resources are available to provide additional information.
- The support staff participates in on-going staff development. Further, the support personnel design and provide periodic in-servicing for the faculty.